Saturday 21 September 2013

Review: This Girl (The Slammed Series #3) by Colleen Hoover


There are two sides to every love story. Now hear Will’s.

Layken and Will’s love has managed to withstand the toughest of circumstances and the young lovers, now married, are beginning to feel safe and secure in their union. As much as Layken relishes their new life together, she finds herself wanting to know everything there is to know about her husband, even though Will makes it clear he prefers to keep the painful memories of the past where they belong. Still, he can’t resist his wife’s pleas and so he begins to untangle his side of the story, revealing for the first time his most intimate feelings and thoughts, retelling both the good and bad moments, and sharing a few shocking confessions of his own from the time when they first met.

In This Girl, Will tells the story of their complicated relationship from his point of view. Their future rests on how well they deal with the past in this final installment of the beloved Slammed series.


Kindle Edition, 304 pages
Published April 30th 2013 by Atria Books 
Genre: New adult/ young adult/ contemporary romance
Kristine's Review:

I read both Slammed and Point of Retreat quite a while ago and was reluctant at first to read the story from Will's perspective. I liked Slammed so much that I was afraid that it would not do it justice and that I would basically  be reading the same book again. My older sister convinced me that I still needed to read it and that I would like it. Thanks big sis...you were right!

Although this book does retell the story from Will's perspective we do learn a few things that we do not know about in Slammed. We get to know the struggles and the inner turmoil that he endured when he could not be with Lake. It reminded me how much I enjoyed the original book.

You have to remember that the characters in this book are young and put yourself into the frame of mind of people of that age. Everything is more dramatic, exhausting, complicated and love is all consuming. Put that with the situations that both Will and Layken find themselves in and you are going to find a little selfishness, whining, annoying behaviour and overly dramatic reactions. So yes, you will find a bit of these unflattering characteristics, but that is what makes them real. These are things that you see in real people at that age. I think that is part of the appeal for me.

Another thing worth mentioning is the chemistry between these two characters. You can feel it in every line you read but at the same time it is kept very clean. Don't get me wrong...I am not a prude and do enjoy a little "heat" in my reads but I would have no issues with letting my 14 yr old daughter read this.

This book could be read as a stand alone but I am glad that I read them all in order. Thank you Colleen Hoover for letting the world know how the story of Will and Layken ends! I loved the epilogue and the final Slam.

Kristine's Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment