Thursday 29 May 2014

Feature and Follow Friday #30






Feature & Follow Friday is a weekly meme that allows book bloggers to interact with each other and find new blogs! It has two hosts, Parajunkee and Alison Can Read. The rules are...
 
(Required) Follow the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts {Parajunkee & Alison Can Read}
(Required) Follow our Featured Bloggers
Put your Blog name & URL in the Linky thing. You can also grab the code if you would like to insert it into your posts.
Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say “hi” in your comments and that they are now following you.
If you are using WordPress or another CMS that doesn’t have GFC (Google Friends Connect) state in your posts how you would like to be followed
Follow Follow Follow as many as you can, as many as you want, or just follow a few. The whole point is to make new friends and find new blogs. Also, don’t just follow, comment and say hi. Another blogger might not know you are a new follower if you don’t say “HI”
If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the Love…and the followers
If you’re new to the follow Friday hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog.

This week's question is...

How important is good writing to you? In an ideal world, a book would be beautifully written AND have great character development, plot, etc. But in the real world, which do you prefer: (1) Great characters and plot with lousy writing or (2) Middling character development and plot but gorgeous writing


Terri's Answer

This is a really tough question to answer.  I love a beautifully written book however I love a great plot, characters etc.  I think it is a really fine line.  I find I can be turned off by both scenarios.  If a story has great writing yet a lousy plot or character development I can find it pretentious and boring.  I always wonder who the author is trying to fool and I tend to be harsh in my judgement. I am like that with people I work with who tend to spew out a bunch of great sounding words with no depth or meaning to them in an effort to impress.  Just get to the point!  I think it is more difficult to have a great plot and characters then to string together a bunch of nice sounding words.  That would make you think I prefer option 1 however I have issue with that also.  While I will always choose a great plot; when the writing is lousy I tend to get annoyed.  It really wears my nerves when I am distracted from a great story because I need to reread half the pages.  Soooooooo...if I have to choose....I say none of the above.  There has to be a balance of both.  I'm not asking for perfection...just a great story that is told well.

Kristine's Answer

I have to agree with Terri on this one. I have read some beautifully written books where the story gets lost in the words and books with great plots and characters but not so great writing. I think because I read so many ARC's I have become more tolerant of not so great writing. Some I feel like I need a decoder or translator to get through but I always do. I think it depends on the book, my mood, my stress level and the countless other things that distract me.

What about you? Which do you prefer?

That is our Feature and Follow Friday for this week! Comment down below if you're a new follower of ours with a link to your blog and we will make sure to follow you back. You can follow us via gfc, bloglovin, email, facebook and/or twitter.


12 comments:

  1. I tend to agree with you both. It is a difficult to pick one of the other as I think it simply needs to be a nice mix of the two.
    Old follower dropping by to say "hi".
    Have a great week.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah definitely agree to wanting both, but I think I had to go with characters, plot, etc. If none of that drew me in, I wouldn't read the book in the first place no matter how well or not well written.

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree even though I pick option 1. if the characters and plot aren't good its boring and annoying. If the writing is lousy its frustrating and I will not want to read it.

    followed on bloglovin and twitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me the plot needs to be really good so I can overlook the "lousy" writing. If it's just OK then I might not enjoy reading it. :/

    New GFC and bloglovin' follower. MY F&F!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! So glad to be a part of Feature and Follow Friday and with such an awesome question to. I answered if I had to choose, I would choose number 2. I can put up with a less than stellar plot and characters for a while--maybe even until the end of the book. But bad writing makes me keep saying, "Oh, this is so bad." And I have to stop. Interesting discussion! I'm new to your blog. I'm going to follow with GFC! I'm one of the features today: http://margodill.com/blog/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with both of you.
    I'm an existing follower. Have a great weekend!
    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with both of you, even though when if I have to choose, I do prefer characters and plot over awesome writing. If I don't get swept away by the story, I'm won't like the book as much.

    Old follower.
    My F&FF
    Alma @ Journey Through Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! New follower here. I love this Friday's topic. I also prefer great characters and plot, for some funny reason, I can overlook mild spelling mistakes and flat writing.

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  9. If only we could choose great characters and plot with awesome writing... I think we all share the same views.

    Old bloglovin follower. New GFC, fb and twitter follower. Follow me back via my ff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely would choose characters given the choice. I love having amazing characters that stick with me forever, and sometimes the writing doesn't have an effect on how much I like a character. I'm a new GFC and bloglovin' follower. (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic answer! I totally agree with you. I think a great balance between plot, characters, and writing is so important and honestly hard to manage. Craptastic writing is easier to ignore for me than it is for me to ignore a crappy character I think because if we don't hit it off at least a little than I won't like the character nearly as much. Thank you for following and I am now following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tough, tough question to ask as neither option is a good one......

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete